Charity: Water

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

His name is "Today"

I am who I am today in large part because of who has invested in me. I'm pretty sure I was unaware of these efforts at the time, but in retrospect, it's obvious who cared enough to invest in my life. I'm pretty sure I know exactly who was praying for me, too. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be who I am and where I am today if it were not for these people in my life. Looking at only one semester of classes left in my college career before I begin teaching, I've been thinking a lot lately about discipleship and mentoring. What's disappointing is that I realize I've missed a lot of opportunities to invest in others, especially since I've been here at college. What also sucks? It's really hard to pull myself out of the rut. The rut that says, "You'll be working with youth the rest of your life. Just focus on you right now. You're still developing, Keith." Okay, sure. This is a very developmental time in my life--lots of ideas and philosophies about life are taking form right now, lots of heavy life choices being made, blah blah blah. I just can't get that stupid voice out of my head: "Keith, this is your developmental stage, your foundational years. Focus on you right now, on your studies and on college stuff. You've only got like a year left of college. You have the whole rest of your life to change the world."

But then there's the quieter voice, the voice I hear less often: "Keith. I understand you need to invest in your studies and in college activities. But can't you see? don't you understand? Children and youth are being molded right now--their bodies growing and their minds shaping now. They will not wait for you. I get that you think you need to focus on you, but these kids can't wait till tomorrow, till you feel ready. They're being overwhelmed with influences, influences slamming them left and right, influences that won't wait for you. If you really care, if you really want to make a difference, drop your excuses and your fears. Be one more positive influence in these kids' lives now. And I'm not talking about the occasional Bible study or Focus trip or basketball game. Youth are more important than that, and what they need is so much more. They need long-term investment. Yeah, it's more demanding. But the world's influences? Relentless. These lives can't afford for you to wait any longer."

"We are guilty of many errors and many faults, but our worst crime is abandoning the children, neglecting the foundation of life. Many of the things we need can wait. The child cannot. Right now is the time his bones are being formed, his blood is being made and his senses are being developed.
To him we cannot answer 'Tomorrow'. His name is 'Today'." (Gabriela Mistral, 1948)

No comments:

Post a Comment