Charity: Water

Monday, June 6, 2011

I Could Be a Farmer

I think for the longest time I knew only a black-and-white joy because I was a grazer. A fat, lazy cow chomping blades of grass under a burning sun. My movements slow, I'd eat my way from pasture to pasture. School--being fed. Church--being fed. Family and friends--being fed. We need that for so long, being fed, because we can't sustain ourselves. At some point, though, we do get it, and at that point, I think we're invited to change. The choice isn't forced on us--we're allowed to keep grazing off what others have sown if that's what we want. But that choice visions a black-and-white life. The invitation is to plant. To labor in the field farming what others will eat. A choice including sweat and blisters, but illuminating so much more color to life. I guess a lot boils down to what we choose to do.

Here's to being a planter instead of a grazer.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe a synthesis could be made: we are called to plant, remembering that we will always be incapable of sustaining our selves, and therefore will always have a place in God's community, where all are called to feed on Christ-the Word, Body, and Blood-and share in the universal call to intercede for each other and on behalf of the world, until Christ draws all...to himself. To "hold each others' trampolines up", as Marva Dawn would say. :)

    ReplyDelete